Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Diploma
Employment of HVAC/R technicians is expected to increase much faster than average for all occupations through the year 2020 due, in part, to an increased demand for new buildings equipped with climate control systems for residential, commercial, and industrial use.* The goal of Kaplan College’s Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Diploma program is to provide you with knowledge of the troubleshooting, repair, and safety skills required for the HVAC/R industry. Through group discussions, lectures, and hands-on laboratory experience with actual HVAC/R equipment, our program in Brownsville, TX can help you train for success.
In the HVAC/R field, professionals typically perform duties such as installing, maintaining, and repairing heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems. Safety is essential in this career field, so emphasis is placed on installing, troubleshooting, and repairing equipment in accordance with industry safety standards. Your classes will combine classroom instruction and extensive hands-on lab training in topics such as:
- Basic electricity for the HVAC technician, with an overview of major tools, components, diagrams, electrical circuits, and graphs used on the job
- Basic and commercial refrigeration exploring system evacuation, refrigerant, oil management recovery, recycling, reclaiming and retrofitting, system charging, and calibrating instruments
- Motors and controls, including thermostats, pressure switches, and other electric control devices
- Heating and central air-conditioning systems with emphasis on the various types and applications for use in residential and commercial settings
Professional HVAC/R Training
In the HVAC/R field, professionals typically perform duties such as installing, maintaining, and repairing heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems. Our program can provide the hands-on training needed for entry-level employment as an HVAC/R professional. In addition, this program can help prepare you for the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute (ARI) EPA Technician Certification Exam.† Achieving HVAC certification indicates that you have met the industry standards for HVAC jobs and have the credentials potential customers or employers are looking for.
Once you receive your Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Diploma from Kaplan College in Brownsville, TX you may search for entry-level employment with:
Pursuing certification is an excellent way to gain an edge in this competitive career field. This program can help you prepare for the North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certification exam—the leading certification program for technicians in the heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, and refrigeration (HVAC/R) industry.†
- Independent HVAC/R contractors
- Property management companies
- Other large buildings